Monday 19 March 2018

# ARU # clinical psychology

Studying a Masters Degree in Psychology: What to Expect?


Before starting my masters degree, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I didn't know how much the difficulty would compare to undergraduate, I didn't know if the workload would be the same, and if they would grade it the same. I had so many questions as it was fairly daunting to wonder what I was signing myself up for.

I had managed to survive undergraduate but how would I manage getting a second degree?

I am half way through my second trimester of Masters therefore, I feel like I can now share my experience to provide some idea of the differences between masters and undergraduate degrees.


How does the workload compare?

This was something I was incredibly worried about and it was a very justified worry. Although we no longer have any exams (which is great!), our coursework has doubled (or maybe tripled). I have been used to doing one piece of coursework per module however, at masters we're doing 2-3 pieces instead. To add to this, the word limits have increased dramatically too, as most of the assignments are portfolios rather than just essays.

On top of this, we have our dissertation to work on too, but coming straight from 3rd year meant I was used to this balance.


How does the grading compare?

Our work is graded more harshly but this was expected. We were given a new grading scheme and there has been changes in terms of which percentage fits what grade, meaning achieving a 2:1 or a 1st will take a bit more work.

The aspect that I still struggled to understand though was what was expected of my work and writing style. I was incredibly nervous when writing my first piece of coursework as I felt like I was still producing something similar to undergrad level and I was worried it wouldn't be enough. However, at the same time I wasn't sure how I could improve it.

Although I did struggle with this, when getting the grade back I had managed to get a 1st, so I must have done something right. That did make me relax a little and feel as though in terms of writing style, they were not asking for much more, as the actual work has become more challenging. However, I am still a little nervous that the work I am producing isn't quite enough.


How does the difficulty compare to undergraduate?

To sum it up - I have found every piece of coursework we have done so far incredibly difficult and at times, really lost any belief in my capabilities in studying this degree. I did find our undergraduate work difficult but now looking back, I realise how much of a step up Masters is.

Of course I expected this and I didn't think it would be easy but it really has been a challenge. I have experienced huge amounts of stress and it's most definitely been the most difficult semesters I have had since starting university. If you're planning to do a Masters degree, just be prepared for this!


What are the modules like?

I have absolutely loved the modules we have studied at Masters (besides statistics but that's another point). Undergrad is very broad and we tended to study a range of different topics, many of which I wasn't interested in. However, it's now amazing to just focus on the ones that really hold my interest (clinical psychology) and to gain knowledge of them at a much deeper level.


What don't you like about studying a Masters in Psychology?

Statistics is the simple answer. As part of undergrad Psychology you have to study research methods and statistics, and the same applies for Masters... you can't escape it! We have a module of statistics each semester and it has been a huge challenge. It's not something that comes naturally to me however, I am trying my hardest in hope of it not dragging my grade down.


Is it best to take a year out before starting a Masters?

If you're finishing undergraduate feeling a little overwhelmed, it may be useful to take a year out before starting a Masters. It will be an incredibly intense year and that may not be what you need. Part of me wishes I had taken a year out and done some travelling or something fun before jumping straight in, however at the same time I love studying so much that it just felt natural to go straight into it. I have also found it super useful coming straight from undergrad as I have all the knowledge pretty fresh in my mind (that's been even more useful with statistics). I worried that if I waited a year, I may struggle a little more when I did finally go back.


Overall... what can you expect when studying a Masters degree in Psychology?

Lots and lots of work... but I'm sure that's already assumed. Masters most definitely is not easy, it has been a challenge but it is so much fun too! I love learning and I have loved all of my lectures (besides statistics). I can't pinpoint a single one that has lost my interest. It's amazing to finally focus on one topic within Psychology which I absolutely love and gain a more in depth knowledge of it too.


Having a Masters degree will be incredibly beneficial, not only as it's another qualification but because of the extra knowledge I have gained from it too.




No comments:

Post a Comment